June 18- August 6th
Dialogue for Change is an adult education class that considers Christian responses to divisive issues, and maybe awakens us to bias and injustice that we have not acknowledged.
The next series of 6 classes for Dialogue for Change will begin Sunday, June 18, 11:15-12:30 in the Fireside Room and on Zoom. The 3 topics selected for this summer are:
· June 18 and 25: Banning books and parental rights
· July 2: July 4th weekend, NO CLASS
· July 9 and 16: Gun violence and gun control
· July 23: Immigration and security
· July 30: No Class
· Aug 6: Immigration and security continued
Come learn, explore, listen, and share. Everyone is invited. All views are welcome!
Click here to sign up!
Questions? Contact Lucinda.
Check out the free resources on social justice issues below!
LGBTQIA+ in Schools
- Ted Talk: LGBTQ youth and public health 10:48 min., 2020
- Article: Is (Schools) Defying Parents the Only Ethical Alternative? – The Atlantic, Jan 10, 2023
- Article: LGBTQ Youth Are Still Experiencing High Rates of Bullying In-Person and Online Healthline, Oct 14, 2021
- Article: LGBTQ+ Youth Homelessness National Network for Youth, 1 page
Becoming A More Welcoming Church
52 Ways to Expand Your Welcome to LGBTQ+ People and Our Families – 2022 web resource with links. Pacific School of Religion
The Complete Guide to Church Change Management web resource – VANCO Faith
Video: How to be an LGBTQ Ally: We Need You! 14 min
Documentary: For the Bible Tells Me So 2007, 1 hr 40 min. Viewable on “Kanopy” streaming video site
- Understanding Gender, article on Gender Spectrum website 3 pages
- Human Rights Campaign’s Glossary of Terms
- “2022 is already a record year for state bills seeking to curtail LGBTQ rights,” CNN Politics, July 2022. 3 pages
- Video: Here I Am. Parents, children, partners, couples and pastors speak about the experience of coming out in a Christian environment. 34 min
- Video: Voices of Witness: Out of the Box. Transgender people of faith courageously tell their stories of hope, healing and wholeness. 27 min
What the Bible Says About LGBTQIA+ People (and Other Helpful Responses)
- Video: Fish Out of Water 52 min The 6 Bible “clobber” passages and bias in churches, with Amy Jill Levine and Bishop Shelby Spong
- “Supporting the Transgender People In Your Life: A Guide to Being a Good Ally” 3 pages
- “Just As I Am” by Austen Hartke, Sojourners 2017
- Conservative justices show sympathy for case that could undercut LGBTQ rights Politico Dec 2022
- Bills targeting trans youth are growing more common — and radically reshaping lives NPR, Nov 2022, 4 pages
- Transgender athletes: What do the scientists say? BBC Sports, 2022
Who I’m Meant to Be: Black, Gay/Trans, and Christian ABC news; June 2022, 6 min.
The Danger of the Single Story TedTalk by Novelist Chimamanda Adichie, 18 min.
Audre Lorde’s “There Is No Hierarchy of Oppressions.” 3 min.
Understanding Intersectional Identities Psychology Today, 2019, 2 pages
The Origins of Privilege The New Yorker, 2014, 3 pages
Click the Download button to view the Pain to Purpose resource
Click the Download button to view the Action Items resource
Click the Download button to view Dialogue for Change resources