Please note: We are working hard to update this page with the most current information. Due to COVID-19, many groups have had to adjust their meeting times and meeting venues. As we collect this new info, please be patient. If you have an immediate need or concern regarding a specific small group, please contact Pastor Mantu.
Small Groups enable deeper spiritual growth & commitment, and we find, this is where the deep, life transformation occurs. SRVUMC offers all types of small group experiences. Book study groups, social and recreational groups, and groups dedicated to exploring and growing your faith. During special liturgical seasons – like Lent and Advent – we offer special all-church small group opportunities. We also break away and be in retreat on several occasions during the year.
We offer small groups such as:
- Meditation Groups
- Book Groups
- Service Groups
- Support Groups
- United Methodist Men and Women’s Groups
- Youth Group
This Lent our church will be following the Adam Hamilton book The Walk: Five Essential Practices of the Christian Life.
There are a number of regular groups that will be using this resource as well as several new groups that will continue for about five to six weeks to lead us into Easter. Some groups may choose to use the DVD format that is also available. If you are unable to find a group that works for you, please let us know. Contact Larry Stone or email Pastor Mantu, and we will do our best to help you connect.
• Lenten Small Group for Folks New to SRVUMC led by Pastor Kim. New to San Ramon Valley UMC? Want to meet more people, ask questions about our church, and participate in a Lenten Small Group? We have just what you need! Pastor Kim will lead a 4 week Lenten Study starting on Wednesday, March 10 at 7 to 8 p.m. This group is for folks who are new to the church, and are considering joining. Contact Pastor Kim with any questions, or to register for the class.
• Pastor Mantu will be leading a virtual Zoom group discussion on Sundays at 11 a.m. and will closely parallel the teachings with the sermons of each week.
Join Zoom Meeting
• Bill Rust will be leading a new Zoom group on Tuesdays at 7 to 8 p.m. that follows the same book but is designed for working professionals trying to maintain life balance/well-being.
• Larry and Linda Stone will be arranging a group that has a heart for people who may feel they would like to reconnect to church life (meeting information will be provided soon).
• Our women’s LIFT groups will also welcome new participants during Lent and offer meetings on
· Sundays, 5 to 6:30 p.m. (Debbie Kelly)
· Thursdays, 9:45 to 11:15 a.m. (Sandy Gsand).
• Women of Wisdom meet on Wednesdays from 10:30 to noon. Contact Marilyn Milam if you are interested in joining this group for this Lenten reading discussion.
• Looking to deepen your Lenten journey? Join Lent over Lunch, a new Lenten small group! Our first meeting is February 23 and meets every Tuesday during Lent from 12-1:30 p.m. via Zoom. For more information, contact Sarah Stribling.
• Taking the Sermon Into the World, welcomes all to come any Sunday at 10 a.m. to join us via Zoom (Link is always in our announcement near the end of each Friday Memo). We’ll be studying The Walk by Adam Hamilton beginning February 21st, along with our discussion of the Worship Service, each Sunday during Lent. Facilitated by Laura Sanchez and others.
Interested in finding a small group not specific to the Lenten Season?
Take a peek below at some of our offerings. Don’t see what you are looking for or want to start a small group? Let us know. Contact Pastor Mantu.
DIALOGUE FOR CHANGE
Facilitated by Lucinda Huffaker
Sundays, 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
We look forward to our Dialogue for Change discussion where we learn and understand more about the racial issues confronting us. The goal is that participants will demonstrate compassionate engagement against racial insensitivity and injustice through continued self-reflection and education. Please join us in listening and learning to identify and work against racial injustice in ourselves and our community.
GREAT ADVENTURES WITH TERRY & HOLLY ANN
Facilitated by Terry Bailey
Our group plans to take one to two field trips a month to various places. Together, they will be fun for all ages. With the seemingly infinite possibilities in the Bay area, we will be busy for a really long time. During this pandemic, our trips are scheduled based on mandated opening rules. They will follow all Dr. Fauci, as well as our church and venue safety protocols. They should be loads of fun! If you want to be part of the group, contact Terry Bailey at to be notified of upcoming trips.
LIFT will be starting a new study on September 10th and September 13th.
The book will be “Matchless” by Angie Smith. Please consider joining this inter-generational Women’s Bible Study.
MEN’S FAITH SHARING
Facilitated by Steven Wood 925-736-1744
Saturday mornings, 8:00 – 10:00 AM
We meet in the Conference Room (with coffee, donuts and juice provided) in the Before Times and After Times and via Zoom in the During Times. All men are welcome to share in this rewarding experience of confidentially discussing faith issues and building community.
PRIME TIME PLAYERS CLUB
Facilitated by Nancy Benvenuto
Currently on hiatus due to COVID-19
Prime Time Players is a Social Outreach group serving the 55+ group of our church and community. In reality – all are welcome. We never turn anyone away! We look forward to the day when we can resume our regular schedule: Potluck and presentation on the FIRST TUESDAY of the month and home-cooked comfort food on the SECOND TUESDAY of the month. Then, once a quarter, we take a field trip. All in the community are welcome, bring a friend, and please join us for this outreach to those over 55.
SARAH’S BOOK CLUB
Facilitated by Sarah Stribling
Wednesdays, beginning August 19, from 12 – 1:30 PM
Looking for a new perspective on your spiritual journey? Join us as we explore The Wisdom Jesus by Cynthia Bourgeault. Email Facilitator Sarah Stribling for more information and/or to join.
SPEAKING OUT STUDY GROUP
Facilitated by Lucinda Huffaker
Tuesdays 1:00 – 2:15 PM
In this group we strive to learn, reflect, hold one another accountable, and speak out against racial insensitivity and injustice in our community. We eagerly welcome new members who share this commitment!
Facilitated by Teri Hawk
Wednesdays, 7:15 – 7:50 PM
Taize is a time to rest in God. There is no preaching, no teaching, no talk of sin or repentance or forgiveness. It is a simple “service” with short chants sung over and over, interspersed with short scripture, poetry readings, and silence. The repetition of these chant-like songs can be a time of meditation and possibly a way of listening to God. There is no right or wrong way to participate – sing or be silent, be prayerful or “bask in the energy of joyfulness.” It is a time for us to be at peace together as a group without leaving our homes. We hope you will join us on Wednesdays via Zoom!
TAKING THE SERMON INTO THE WORLD
Facilitated by Laura Sanchez
Sundays, following the live-streamed worship service
Taking the Sermon Into the World is available on Zoom to discuss the day’s worship service theme and scripture. We invite you to dive a little deeper into the sermon.
Co-facilitated by Brad Stribling & Terry Sherman
2nd and 4th Wednesday each month from 3 – 5 PM
Wesley Writers has been running over twelve years! We provide community, spirituality, encouragement and support for participants wishing to express themselves in writing.
People’s writing interests include, short stories, personal vignettes, autobiographies, faith stories, poetry, novels, plays, and yes… even Baseball, Haiku and Limericks! We greatly enjoy sharing these around… and for the price it’s the ‘best show in town’.